Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The mind can be aware of its limitations

Can we understand the whole significance of what it is to be aware? Do not let us jump to any conclusions. What do we mean by ordinary awareness? I see you and, in watching you, looking at you, I form opinions. You have hurt me, you have deceived me, you have been cruel to me, or you have said nice things and flattered me, and consciously or unconsciously all this remains in my mind. When I watch this process, when I observe it, that is just the beginning of awareness, is it not? I can also be aware of my motives, of my habits of thought. The mind can be aware of its limitations, of its own conditioning, and there is the inquiry as to whether the mind can ever be free from its own conditioning. Surely this is all part of awareness. To say that the mind can or cannot be free from its conditioning is still part of its conditioning, but to observe that conditioning without saying either is a furthering of awareness—awareness of the whole process of thinking.

J Krishnamurthy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home